Those who live "on the mountain" know just how great it is up here. The founders of our congregation lived "on the mountain," and so they wanted to be able to worship "on the mountain." Members from several Chattanooga Methodist Churches came together in 1953, and on Easter Sunday 17 persons worshipped in an old lake farmhouse on the corner of Lula Lake and McFarland. By Christmas the group had grown to over 100 members and became an official Methodist Congregation. Under the leadership of Rev. Amos Rogers, Jr. Lookout Mountain United Methodist Church grew and became a fixture within our community. What began with just a few families gathering together, became a growing church that sought to be a blessing to its community. The members built a multipurpose center before a sanctuary so that community events could be hosted. It was not until 1959 that the sanctuary was finally built.
The sanctuary is still at the corner of Lula Lake Road and McFarland Rd. And there are still members of our church who worshipped in that Farmhouse 6 decades ago.